Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Top Four Music Videos

Well, I didn't get this assignment posted in time, so I will not get a grade for it anyways, so I figured I'd still write for the experience, but do it slightly differently. So... I was debating between 4 different music videos for the best one. I kind-of decided on one, but then I thought, I don't want to deprive anyone of the chance to see some amazing music videos, so I'm putting all four of them on here!!! :) So, what makes a good music video to me? Well, you gotta start out with a good song- you can't go anywhere without that foundation. From there, I think the best music videos tell a story. Those are the ones that I want to sit through and watch, anyway, as well as share with others.

The first one is "Whiskey Lullaby," sung by Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss. It gets fourth place on my little mini-countdown because, first of all, it's a great song with a music video that tells a great story. It also has a wonderful ending. One could argue that this video is the best of all four, hec, I could even argue that! But I guess the reason why I put it last is probably because it's really sad, kind-of depressing, and normally I'd like a music video to make me happy. (Although, in defense of that, this video does have an interesting and hopeful ending)



This next one is "8th World Wonder," sung by Kimberley Locke. The joyful nature of this song puts it ahead in third place. Also in contrast to "Whiskey Lullaby," Kimberley herself is in the story of her music video, and I love that aspect of it. This video's defining feature is the way it is put together in reverse chronilogical order, going backwards through the week- it's awesome. Because of that, it holds your attention all the way through. Locke isn't as well-known as the upcoming artists, but she is mostly known for this hit.



"Objection Tango," sung by Shakira is number two in my countdown. This video is upbeat, tells a story, and the artist again participates in more than just the singing. But, to add to the appeal of this music video, there's dancing!, and not just any dancing, but partner dancing!, AND not just any partner dancing, but the tango!!! :) It's a blast, and I would love to learn it! Besides the tango, Shakira dances on her own, of course. This video also incorporates a very cool special feature when it slips into animation to show how Shakira imagines the scene going and then slips back out to show reality. This video is also really funny, while the previous two were pretty much devoid of that humor. Shakira is my hero; she rocks. :)



And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for (or maybe not, I don't know who all will bother to read and watch all of this, but I've kinda always wanted to write that sentance)!!!!! The number one spot goes to..... "She's No You," by Jesse McCartney! (Sorry to those of you who are disappointed- lol.) My reasoning for this: first of all, as before, great song, great artist, tells a story, Jesse himself is the main character, and it leaves you with a happy feeling. What makes this song worthy of the number one spot? The story line is easy to follow unlike a lot of music videos that quickly flash pictures and/or are just hard to follow with a weird plot. This video is also in black and white, which adds to the simplicity and, I think, works beautifully for this particular video- it was a good choice. Also, Jesse is beautiful. Simple as that. ;)



Well, there you have it: my FOUR favorite music videos. For my hyperlinks, I decided to connect you directly to the lyrics as well as another good song by the artist. I'd also like to say, these are just the ones that I could think of. I'm sure someone could show me a video tomorrow that could become my new favorite. That's the way it is with these things. Anyways, I had a lot of fun writing this. Hopefully someone out there had fun reading it, or at least got to procrastinate on some homework a little bit longer, aka: (in the words of our beloved English professor) do something stupid. :) Ya know? Waste some time; watch the videos! Why not? Ciao.

1 comment:

ENG 001: Language & Writting said...

It is nice to see that someone else enjoys the simple pleasures a pop culture video can bring to one’s life. I am writing this in response to the Objection video by Shakira. I love how the video states exactly what emotion it is trying to convey. The video is fun, sexy and catchy enough that after watching it here and now I will most likely be singing it for days. I always loved the part where the video jumps from real life into the cartoon. It gives Shakira a sense of superhero status, and is a comical portrayal of how the situation is probably playing in her head. It is sad that you didn’t get a grade for this post, but I definitely give you an A+ for song choice ☺.