Sunday, November 18, 2007

Reminiscing


My first ever CD was Enrique Iglasias; that I remember perfectly. What was my first music video? On that I'm not so sure. But thinking back, Bring Me To Life by Evanescence comes to mind. This was probably not the very FIRST music video I ever saw; I might have seen some country music videos before this one, but this one sticks out in my memory because it was the first "cool" music video I ever watched.


I remember being introduced to Evanescence, first through the radio and then by a friend, who burnt their Fallen CD for me to listen to. Bring Me To Life was their biggest hit. It was the song of theirs that I always heard playing on the radio.


One day, when my mom was out of the house, I turned on one of the MTV channels (MTV was "bad" and therefore banned from our house, although with satelite TV, we still had the channel). They were playing music videos and I remember hearing those first few piano notes, thinking "no way!" and being really excited. I thought the video was SO cool. I loved the opening with the cityscape and the story that switched from the lady falling to sleeping. The video got really exciting when the guy opened the window and a gust of wind blew her of. She held on to the ledge and the guy came out and attempted to pull her back, and although he got close, he failed and she slipped out of his fingers. Then the video ends where it began: is she falling or only sleeping? I loved it; it was awesome. And I kept wishing that it would come on again so that I could show it to my little sisters.


Now, I've seen a lot of music videos. I still think this one is pretty neat. But it doesn't completely amaze me the way it did back then. The part when he is trying to help her up seems especially rediculous. He should have been able to do it; the struggle just looks fake. Furthermore, she appears to be actually pulling away from him instead of trying to aide him in saving her life.

No comments: